Friday, May 30, 2008

Friday May 30, 2008 1:20 am

SCHOOL'S OUT!!!!!!!! For those of you who have children, I'm sorry. For those of you that are teachers, HURRAY!

Today was a great day. Long overdue for sure. He had his favorites working with him today. That helps getting him to do things. Will did a four hour t-trial first thing this morning. When he got off it about 1:00, he went for a walk down the hall. When he went through the double doors to the unit, he took a couple of steps. He looked so good that the nurses asked if he wanted to take a wheelchair ride outside. He said that would be okay. He had a great ride. He has a entourage when he goes anywhere, like a little parade. I think they enjoyed the time outside too. He needed some blood today so they gave him two more units. Then he took a good nap, got up and I got to finally shave him. He was waiting for his brother-in-law, Aaron, to shave him but it might be awhile and Sumer (one of his most favorite nurses) told him he was looking bad. So then he said I could shave him. I swear she could make him stand on his head if she wanted him too. (I don't know why she would ever have him do that.)
Then finally after 14 weeks, he got to take a shower. I know it felt so good for him. It still took many people to get this to happen but it was worth it.

Oh I forgot to mention that we had a pulmonologist (lung doctor) a few weeks ago. He just got a big important job in a big hospital in the east. He came in and said goodbye to Will. He told us that he was going to say something and it was not what he had to say because he's a doctor. What he said was that, in his experience, Will is one of the strongest person he's ever treated. He's never seen anyone that has fought so hard. He took Will's hand and said it was a privilege to get to know him. Well, needless to say, I had tears in my eyes. He doesn't know Will, or anything that Will had to go through all his life. So he based his opinion on just his experience with him in the ICU. That made Will feel real special. What a nice man. (I just wish I could remember his name.).

We had so much fun with out housewarming party today. I have some great pictures but I can't load them here at the hospital. I will load them tomorrow (today) as soon as I get back to the apt. There are some good pictures. I guess none of you could get up here for that. So stay tuned tomorrow night that there will be pics. The doctors and nurses, pt, rt and clerks all had a good time eating the food. It was fun planning it. I will go into detail tomorrow night. I keep thinking there was something big I had to let everyone know but I can't remember it right now.

Big difference in this time last week. Thank goodness they are pushing him so much. Coach Clark and Donna are coming up today, Friday, to spend some time with Will. He's looking forward to that. It will be good to let them have time alone.

Today will be as good, if not better, than yesterday.
God bless all

3 comments:

Dixie said...

HI WILL,TERRI,AND TOM,
I'M SO GLAD YOU ARE STARTED TO FEEL BETTER. KEEP GOING. IT IS SUPPOSE TO BE SUNNY THIS WEEKEND SO MAYBE YOU CAN GET OUTSIDE SOME MORE. YOU KEEP DOING THIS GOOD WITH YOUR FAVORITE NURSES ON, YOUR MOM WILL NOT EVER LET THEM HAVE A DAY OFF WILL.
TERRI, I'M GLAD YOUR PARTY WAS A BIG HIT. YOU ARE SO THOUGHTFULL.
LOVE,
DIXIE

bug said...

Congrats on the nice walk, ride outside and a shower. I'm sure the shower for as much for everyone else as for you :) 14 weeks after all. It's nice to hear good things are happening, I know you will continue that trend. Our thoughts and prayers all always with you.

Pam said...

Yahoo! What a great day. We knew you could do it. Keep up the fabulous work.

As I watched the Laker game last night, I told Dave that I would have to cheer on the Celtics just for Will.

I'm glad that Randy and Donna will be there today. I know how much Randy and Will mean to each other. The power of that friendship is amazing.

You continue to be in our thoughts and prayers.

Pam and Dave